How to Buy A Great House
There are many factors to consider when selecting a neighborhood that is right for you. Below are just a few of the many factors -- you may think of others that are important to you.
Neighborhoods have characteristic personalities designed to best suit people during many different times of their lives.
SCOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
It is important that you scout the neighborhood in person. You live in more than your house.
- Talk to people who live there.
- Drive through the entire area at different times of the day, during the week and on weekends.
- Look carefully at how well other homes in the area are being maintained; are they painted, are the yards well cared for; are parked cars in good condition, etc.
NEIGHBORHOOD FACTORS TO CONSIDER --
Look for things like access to major thoroughfares, highways, and shopping. Listen for noise created by commerce, roads, railways, public areas, schools, etc.
- Look for things like access to major thoroughfares, highways, and shopping.
- Listen for noise created by commerce, roads, railways, public areas, schools, etc.
- Smell the air for adjacent commerce or agriculture.
- Check with local civic, police, fire, and school officials to find information about the area.
- Research things like soil and water.
- Look at traffic patterns around the area during different times of the day and drive from the area to work.
- Find out if the neighborhood is near parks, churches, recreation centers, shopping, theaters, restaurants, public transportation, schools, etc.
- Find out if the neighborhood belongs to a Homeowner’s Association.
What is negative for one person is positive for another. Some people like a front porch, others don’t. Some want a neighborhood pool, others don’t. There are those who want a large lot while some don’t want the maintenance that comes with large lots. You may want a cul-de-sac street and someone else may want the ease of entering and exiting the neighborhood on a through street. Think about what things are most important to you and go with it.